Jos + Stewarts Family Photoshoot at Babylonstoren
It was wonderful to see Jos and Stewart again and photograph them with their girls, Caia and Darcy at Babylonstoren. This was the 4th photoshoot I’ve done with Jos and Stewart, and it’s been lovely to see their journey from their engagement and wedding, to now having two little humans to raise and care for. I love the connections I get to make doing photography, and the friendships that are built from meeting my clients.
They were all in South Africa recently on holiday to enjoy some sunshine, having left England’s winter behind. I met up with them again at the spectacular Babylonstoren, where they were staying in the Fynbos cottages. It was a hot, sunny day, and we walked around the gardens and were completely spoiled for choice.
Babylonstoren is one of the oldest (and most beautiful) Cape Dutch farms in the Franschhoek valley. French architect Patrice Taravella was commissioned to plan the layout of the gardens, which is nothing short of a masterpiece.
6 Reasons why you should visit Babylonstoren on your trip to South Africa
- It’s a peaceful and calming farm ‘garden’ with an unhurried feeling, and by far, the most beautiful I’ve ever seen in the Southern hemisphere. If ever there was a Wonderland…this is it! Ask for a garden tour (starts at 10 am) or enjoy a leisurely stroll at your own pace.
- Everything is completely edible and medicinal.
- It’s a safe place for children to run around and explore all the secret gardens.
- There 2 resident donkeys, Meisiekind (meaning ‘girl child in Afrikaans) and Lulu are part of the family at Babylonstoren. When I used to shoot weddings there many years ago, they would often pop their heads into the wedding reception area and insist on being fed some veggies.
- There are 3 restaurants there, Babel, The Greenhouse, and Bakery. The Greenhouse is my go-to place, as the food is served picnic-style, in wooden crates. Everything is sourced from the gardens, and it just has that extra fresh and nutritious taste.
- Their store is a great place for browsing and getting lost in the luscious fragrances in the Scented Room. You can mix and blend some of your own body scrub potions.
I was able to do a photoshoot at Babylonstoren because my clients were staying there, but as far as I know, permission is required. So if you’ve booked there with your partner or your whole family, and would love a shoot there, please click HERE.
Jos and Stewart had a gorgeous album printed and I managed to deliver it before they flew back to England! To see the lovely goodies I offer, click HERE!